Monitoring for Groundwater Management in (Semi-) Arid Regions.
- Monitoring for Groundwater Management in (Semi-) Arid Regions.
Henny A.J. van Lanen
- Year of publication
- IGRAC code
- Document type
- This document focuses on groundwater monitoring in (semi-)arid regions, including available monitoring tools as well as its spatial and temporal aspects. Current possibilities for the storage of collected data and their processing, including data retrieval and distribution using groundwater information systems, are also explained. Although time-independent data such as elevation, land use, aquifer thickness and lithology are of major importance for monitoring network design and interpretation of monitoring data, the document limits itself to subjects related to the collection of dynamic hydrological variables and related aspects.
This document is a valuable tool for professional hydrogeologists. It is a technical guide containing sufficient information to set up an initial design of a groundwater monitoring network. The document has two parts: Part I deals with basic studies and in Part II, case studies are presented. The general outline for groundwater monitoring in (semi) arid regions is presented in Chapter 2. It summarizes and refers to the main issues dealt with in the document, thereby situating groundwater in the wider context of groundwater management studies, including groundwater system identification and modelling.
(224 pp., tables, figures, graphs)
- Intended audience
- ISBN 92-3-103579-7. Studies and Reports in Hydrology, 57
- order online at: http://publishing.unesco.org/books.aspx
- Enforcement status
- Level of detail
- Selling condition(s)
- Usefulness & Limitations
- Document value compared to alternatives