Water balance of global aquifers revealed by groundwater footprint
- Water balance of global aquifers revealed by groundwater footprint
Gleeson, Tom Wada, Yoshihide Bierkens, Marc F.P. van Beek, Ludovicus P.H.
- Year of publication
- IGRAC code
- Document type
- Most assessments of global groundwater resources have focused on surface water, but unsustainable depletion of groundwater has recently been documented on both regional and global scales. Here we define the groundwater footprint and show that humans are overexploiting groundwater in many large aquifers that are critical for agriculture.
- All countries (Global) (XXX)
- Groundwater General - Groundwater General
- GW Resource Management - GW Resource Management